GIMP is a free open-source photo editing suite similar to Photoshop. GIMP is used for
- Photo retouching,
- Image composition,
- Format converting,
- Text manipulation and
- Much more.
Free GIMP download
Go to GIMPdownloads. Have patience. It was tricky to download it in March 2020. It may be better by the time you read this.
For those of you who learn well from YouTube tutorials, here is an excellent one for beginners.
If you want a shorter video, you might try the one below.
- Many people do Google searches for images
- May get lower ranking if duplicate of another image in Google database
- So, use GIMP to make small changes to your free stock photos
- Use the GIMP filter menu you see here.
Open an image
- Click File > Open > Pictures > Modified
- Double click on a picture
- Suppose you opened up this file called “crowd.jpg”
- Practice photo editing with this picture
- Reproduced for you at very bottom of this page
1. Right click in your layers panel
• Select Create a new layer
2. Transparency > OK
3. Click on the grey layers icon.
4. Right-click in the Layers panel and click on Merge Down
- Now the transparent layer will be behind picture of crowd
- When erase something, the transparent layer will show up
To erase something completely:
1. Select erase icon and then
2. solid circle
3. Select tool options icon in layers panel
4. Then change eraser size to represent ideal size for erasing
Image will look like picture above
Continued on the next page